If You’re New, Start Here….
Hello and welcome to the First Presbyterian Church of Cranford! We’re glad you decided to stop by our website to learn more about our ministry here. Whether you’re new to church, coming back, or a regular church-goer, you are welcome here! Watch this brief video and see why.
welcometochurch-wmv-nondatedlogo_720 (this is a .wmv file)
Here’s what to expect during Worship:
- Sunday morning worship services start at 10 a.m. in the Sanctuary. (During the summer at 8:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. in the climate-controlled Dorothy Snyder Chapel)
- INSPIRE! A Contemporary Worship Experience is currently the second Sunday of each month. This worship service is casual, led by a worship leader and praise band. Contemporary music is integral to the experience and the scripture and sermon are projected on the big screens.
- The Pastor will welcome guests and make announcements.
- The congregation participates in responsive passages, Hymns, and Prayers (both silent and aloud).
- Children are front and center in every service, with a special children’s message, after which they are guided to their age-appropriate Sunday School classes, while parents remain in the Sanctuary for the Sermon.
- Communion is celebrated on the first Sunday of each Month.
- Music is central to the worship experience – children, youth, adult and bell choirs, as well as guest musicians, share their gifts and talents.
- The Pastor delivers a biblically based but contemporary sermon that connects with heart of each individual.
- Join us at our popular coffee fellowship time immediately following worship, or in between services during the summer months. Cake and coffee are served in the Thomson Youth Center on the lower level across from the Nursey and Toddler room.
What should I wear?
First Pres Cranford is not a particularly formal congregation. Casually appropriate dress is the norm.
If you have children…
At First Pres Cranford children of all ages are welcome and encouraged to participate in worship and Sunday School. Our worship services begin with families together for opening songs and prayers followed by a special Children’s Message. Sunday School begins immediately following the Children’s Message, where the children move to age appropriate activities in a Sunday School class lead by our volunteer teachers.
Children of all ages are welcome to stay in worship for the entire service or participate in our Nursery or Sunday School programs, at their parents’ discretion. Nursery care for infants through two years old is available throughout the entire service every Sunday. We also have a crib room with a rocking chair and changing table available to parents of little ones who may need a quiet place to be. The Nursery is on the first floor across from the Thomson Youth Center, and the crib room is just outside the right hand doors of the Sanctuary. Ushers are available to provide directions and help you get where you need to go!
Children and the Lord’s Supper (Communion)
In the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), all baptized Christians of any age are welcome at the Lord’s Table. In other words, a specified age or “level” of faith or understanding, is not required to be in Christ’s Presence.
First Pres Cranford provides children of all ages instruction in the meaning of the Sacrament of Communion. With their parents’ permission, baptized children who are being nurtured and instructed in the significance of the Lord’s Supper at their level of understanding are invited to receive and share Communion.
Nursery and Toddler Care
Nursery Care is available during worship service for children two years and younger. Our nursery is located in Memorial Hall (adjacent to the sanctuary) on the first floor across from the Thomson Youth Center. A crib room is also available for parents who are looking for a quiet place to take their infants when needed. Our Crib Room is located just beyond the right hand doors of the sanctuary and has a rocking chair and changing table available to parents. Ushers are available to help you find both the nursery and crib room if you need assistance.